2008-04-11

Craft workshop evokes inner artist



Story and Photos by William Stroud

Like many, I’ve noticed the exquisite sparkle of Okinawan glassware and thought, “I wonder if
I could do that.” After all, there’s an artist in all of us. Most people just never take a chance to give it a whirl.

One of the best places to get in touch with your inner artist is at the Naha Museum of Traditional Arts and Crafts. You can try your hand at glass blowing, pottery making, shun-on (weaving), even bingata (cloth painting) and lacquerware design for about Y2,500. Then walk away with a finished product. Experts guide you every step of the way for safety and success. One project will only take an hour or so.

I’ve always found the whole process of adding color to molten glass and blowing through a pipe to form a cup or bowl intriguing. The Ryukyu Glass Blowing Workshop offered me my chance. Don’t expect to make a huge salad bowl, but you can make a drinking glass or small a vase. There are a number of examples to choose from. Anyone can buy a glass, but somehow the one I made seems more mine.

Now it’s your turn. The museum is on Kokusai Street, straight across from McDonald’s. Go up the outside stairs on the second floor, to the large open area past the craft shop on the left and walk toward the back railing. The craft workshops are on the right.

No comments: